# Tags
#Lead Story

74% of Nigerian Men Are Biological Fathers, DNA Report Suggests

Smart DNA, a prominent DNA testing center headquartered in Lagos, Nigeria, has unveiled a comprehensive analysis of relationship DNA tests conducted at its facility from July 1, 2022, to June 30, 2023.

The standout revelation from the report is that an impressive 73.88% of men who underwent relationship testing to confirm their paternity were positively identified as the biological fathers of the children in question. The remaining 26.12% received negative results, as disclosed in the report released on Tuesday.

DNA, short for Deoxyribonucleic acid, is the genetic material that carries essential information for an organism’s development and functioning. Genetic testing, including DNA testing, can identify mutations in genes, chromosomes, or proteins and can also provide insights into one’s ancestral heritage.

A DNA relationship test employs genetic profiles to ascertain whether an individual is the biological parent of another individual. The Smart DNA report, based on a substantial dataset, offers unprecedented insights into DNA testing trends across Nigeria. It also sheds light on the motivations behind these tests, the demographics of those tested, and the outcomes.

In terms of geographic distribution, Lagos accounted for the highest proportion of tests, contributing 82.89% of the total. This dominance is attributed to the presence of Smart DNA’s office in Lagos, the purchasing power of its residents, and the state’s high population density. Within Lagos, the Mainland (68.14%) outpaced the Island (31.86%) in testing.

The majority of tests (89.10%) were conducted for “Peace of Mind” purposes, followed by “Immigration” (8.97%) and “Legal” (0.64%). This suggests that individuals primarily seek DNA testing to confirm biological relationships for personal reasons, rather than for legal or immigration purposes.

Men took the initiative in initiating contact for testing, accounting for 86.44% of the first contacts, compared to 13.56% by women. This indicates that men are more likely to have doubts about paternity or other relationships and are proactive in seeking testing.

Positive results confirming the tested man as the biological father of the child constituted 73.88% of tests, while negative results accounted for 26.12%. This implies that, in the majority of cases, men seeking testing are indeed the biological fathers, but in more than 1 in 4 cases, the tested father is not the biological father of the child.

In terms of ethnic groups, the Yoruba ethnic group had the highest percentage of tests (61.23%), followed by the Igbo (19.07%), Others (12.08%), and Edo (6.78%). This distribution aligns with the ethnic diversity in Lagos and its surrounding areas.

Regarding the sex of the children tested, more tests were conducted on male children (56.62%) than female children (43.38%). This suggests a potential cultural preference for confirming paternity of male offspring, although further research is needed to confirm this hypothesis.

The age range of those tested revealed that the majority of tests were performed on children aged 0-5 years (58.02%), followed by the 6-12 age group (25.95%). This indicates that paternity tests are predominantly conducted on young children.

Smart DNA’s findings also indicate that most men opting for DNA tests fall within the age groups of 31-40 years (40%) and 41-50 years (23%). This demographic is likely to have young children and the financial capacity to afford testing.

Smart DNA officials underscored their commitment to providing fully accredited DNA testing services adhering to international standards. The report aims to contribute to a better understanding of the current trends in relationship DNA testing in Nigeria, shedding light on this crucial aspect of society.

 

 

 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *